Thursday, September 24, 2009

9/24/09

Affirmation: It is a joy and a delight to plant new seeds, for I know these seeds will become my experiences.
(Affirmation from "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise L. Hay)

Have you ever gone on a diet and lost a couple of pounds right away and felt twice as motivated to accomplish your goal? This is how I felt yesterday. After my first posting I had to go and get new tires on my car (never fun) and I had to take my 21 month old daughter along with me (imagine my excitement). Luckily there was a nice breakfast place across the way and I decided that I would take the opportunity to have a wonderful birthday breakfast with my baby girl. I was determined to enjoy the experience. We ordered pancakes and eggs and we laughed and visited with other customers. We made the most of it! When my daughter and I returned from a bathroom break I asked the waitress for my bill and she informed me that the gentlemen across from us had covered our tab. He was still there and I said, “Thank you so much. Why did you do that?” and he replied, “Something just told me you could use that today.” I had never told him it was my birthday and yet he responded to the positive vibe I sent out. I could hardly believe that the universe had responded to my positive energy so quickly. The breakfast wasn’t very expensive and it wasn’t about the money. It was about the gesture and more importantly it was about the rewards one receives when changing their thought patterns. Instead of looking at the situation as a negative, something to survive and get through, I turned it into a really pleasant experience. Needless to say, I became twice as motivated to continue on with my year of positive thinking.

At this point I think it’s important to clarify my goals. There are things I want to change in my life and things I want to be better and it’s imperative to recognize those things in order for change to be made. In the past my list of things to change looked like this:

Stop eating so much
Stop spending so much
Get yourself organized
Be a better parent

Notice how negative these goals are. Louise L. Hay notes in “You Can Heal Your Life” that all “too often we think in negative affirmations…[which] only create more of what you say you don’t want.” Hays says instead we need to “continually make positive statements about how [we] want life to be.” It is critical then to not focus on what you are doing wrong or the things you should be doing. Here is what my goal list looks like now…

I love and accept my body and will honor it by eating only when physically hungry, choosing healthy foods and giving my body the exercise it needs. Dieting and weight obsession are no longer part of my life. I am ready to honor my body.

I am ready to find my life’s work. I am willing to accept new challenges.

I deserve to be prosperous and I now accept prosperity in my life.

I am ready to be a calm, loving, patient mother. I allow myself to relax and enjoy my children.

It’s amazing how good it feels to just write down, in a positive light, the things you want in your life. If you’ve ever bought a new car you will notice when you drive off the lot you see the make and model of your car everywhere. Suddenly there is an influx of the particular car you just bought. That’s because you are focused on that particular thing and your mind is looking for it. The same can be true for positive and negative thoughts, so it is critical that we look for the positive – because we will find it everywhere!

2 comments:

  1. I'm r2momma's sister. I didn't want to be anonymous but it seems like the easiest way to make a post. Anyway, after reading this mornings blog I wanted to post some of my "new" goals.

    I to want to take care of my body.
    I to want to find something I'm passionate about work related but remain thankful for the job and boss that I currently have.
    And, most importantly I think I deserve to have a healthy baby and pregnancy (not sure if this is really a goal)

    Thanks r2momma for starting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A valuable post on positivethinking

    Thanks,
    Karim - Positive thinking

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think...