Tuesday, December 8, 2009

December 8, 2009

I am feeling pretty upbeat today and thought I would have a little fun with positive thinking. Yesterday we got our first big snow of the season, about a foot, and it is beautiful! It does of course wreak havoc on anyone having to drive in it, but it’s early in the morning and the moonlight is glistening off the blanket of snow in my yard. You could think of a lot of negative things about the snow – hard to get to work, the kids are stuck inside, and it’s really, really cold! But there are so many better ways to look at it. I love how the snow makes my house look so beautiful. It covers up any imperfections (we bought a fixer upper). Yesterday when it was snowing my husband and I sat inside and played games, played with our daughter (our son is visiting his grandparents), and read books. We also ate lots of yummy snacks! We had an appointment in the morning, but once we got home we stayed there and just let the snow envelope our home. I think the best part about the snow is it forces you to slow down. You are more likely to make dinner at home and bake some goodies instead of going out. Television gets old quick, so you can pull out the board games and read with your children. Even if you have to go out into it, you are forced to drive slower, be more courteous and focus on what you are doing. I think its nature’s way of giving us a break from our hectic lives, or at least that’s what I enjoy about it.


Sometimes the weather gets really bad where I live and the schools close down. We call these snow days and the kids are always thrilled. They can go skiing or sledding, or whatever their hearts desire. While working hard is important, and we must be responsible in our jobs, I think it’s equally important for adults to enjoy an occasional snow day too! Psychologist Kathleen Nickerson, Ph.D., says, “How you choose to spend a snow day shows the activities you’re longing to participate in but rarely have time for.” When I was a kid I would spend my snow days sledding, drinking hot chocolate and watching movies. I never once thought about my day being wasted or what I was missing out on. Adults tend to worry so much they forget to enjoy the moment at hand. Kids always live in the moment and are much happier for it. What would you do with a snow day? Perhaps you don’t live by snow, or can’t take an entire day off work, but I encourage you to book one on your calendar. Can you take a half day off work and curl up on the couch in your pajamas watching movies and nibbling on popcorn? Can you push aside your weekend chores and take your kids sledding? Think about what activities you would love to do if you only had the time, and then make the time! Schedule it, plan it, and enjoy it! It’s good for the soul to take a little time to do something entirely pleasurable. I guarantee it will change your frame of mind.


blog comments powered by Disqus