Thursday, January 7, 2010

January 7, 2010

As this New Year jumps into full swing and I have six months to prepare for a new baby, I have given a lot of thought on how I want the year to go, and what some of my short and long term goals are. Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed by the many things I want to accomplish and how to get some of the things I need. Awhile back I had a conversation with a good friend about putting together a vision or dream board. Basically it is a piece of paper, any size, where you put pictures and phrases of things you want to accomplish or want to buy/have. For example, you might need a new car within the next 6 months, so you would put pictures on the board of cars you like, maybe a picture of your car with a sold sign on it, and maybe some words like “save” to inspire you to get the car you want within six months. You look at this picture every day, and the idea is that having something to put into your mind on a daily basis keeps you focused on what you want, and sends a vibe out into the world that you are ready for this particular thing. You can do this for things you want to purchase, careers you are interested in obtaining, paying off debt, building better relationships, etc. Whatever your heart desires you can put on your vision board.


After talking with my friend we were going to make these boards and never ended up doing it. We both have young kids, and the holidays came around, etc. Then just a couple of days ago I was reading my First magazine, 1/18/10 issue, and there was an article entitled “Make this the year you achieve your dreams!” The article has several steps on things you can do to make your dreams come true and one of those was making a “dream board.” I knew this was a sign that it was time for me to make mine. The article says when making a dream board you should “choose words and pictures that help you visualize yourself acting in your desired future.” The article gives an example of a woman whose life was going pretty crappy until she made her dream board, and while it took a little over a year, her life closely resembles that which she had put on her board. I am now truly inspired and today I am making my own vision board.

I like the idea of the vision board because I think it’s easy to want things but often hard to see ourselves making those things come true. And sometimes our thoughts can be very scattered, so having some clear cut goals and desires, surrounded by positive images and pictures, can be the very thing that pushes us forward. Some of the things I am going to put on my vision board include buying a bigger car for my growing family, traveling with my husband, finish our house remodeling and brightening our financial picture. What would you put on your vision board? I’m off to work on my dreams now – have a great day!


blog comments powered by Disqus