Monday, November 23, 2009

November 23, 2009

Two Month Update


It’s hard to believe that it’s already been two months since I began this project. I am still looking forward to writing as many mornings as I can steal away, and I am constantly inspired. Thanks to all my friends and followers! In my very first post I mentioned one of my goals was to wake up and be excited about the day ahead. I had felt that I was dragging through my days. While there are still days where I am dragging, I am finding myself a little bit more excited and alive. I am certainly enjoying my time with my children more. One thing I have found that is extremely helpful in being positive is walking and eating healthy. It’s hard to be positive when you are tired and out of sorts, so I have learned the importance of daily exercise and balanced meals. It’s amazing how much those two things affect your mood. I think that writing on a regular basis has also been good for my soul. I can let out my feelings and thoughts in a constructive manner, and in doing so, I think I have already significantly elevated my happiness level.

While I have been writing, reading books and trying to come up ideas to push my writing career to the next level (one that I actually get paid to do); I have yet to accomplish anything significant. I still don’t think I have given 100% in this area. I tell myself that I have small children and it’s hard to find the time, which is partly true, but I also know this is a convenient excuse. For some reason I am still hesitating. I think it’s partly because I have never been really good at giving myself deadlines. I do really well when other people give me deadlines, but when I am left to my own devices I tend to procrastinate. While it certainly is harder to have a writing career with small children, it is not impossible. J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter in a coffee shop with her baby in tow. She wanted it – she made it happen. I have to want it enough. Dreams are easy – making them come true is hard!

I also have to get organized. In fact, that’s my biggest goal for the next month. I have always been pretty laid back and just go with the flow but I think that’s actually detrimental to me now, especially with small children. I need to get organized, get on a better schedule and make my life flow. I think that in doing so I will be able to schedule time for me to work and follow my dreams. I tend to think of the million other things I have to do when I’m writing and get easily distracted. If I am organized and have a time and a place for everything I think it will be much easier for me to sit down and work on my writing without distractions. (At least I hope this will be the case.) I went out and bought a day organizer and am setting a daily schedule for myself.

I am determined to continue to work on my weaknesses, pull from my strengths and make my dreams come true. I will not give up! Being positive and changing my thought patterns has been more difficult than I ever imagined it would be. But I can already see some amazing changes and it is well worth the ride!


blog comments powered by Disqus