Monday, November 9, 2009

November 9, 2009

Yesterday I had a few hours to myself thanks to my mom and sister. I went to the downtown area where my mom lives and walked into a beautiful bakery. Everything on the shelves looked fantastic and the aromas were intoxicating. There was an older lady, beautifully dressed, eyeing several things and clearly having a hard time making a decision. Her husband was waiting for her and she just couldn’t decide what to pick. She finally decided on a peanut butter cookie. Before she could pay the cashier I handed over the two dollars and said “Have a great day!” I was partaking in the 29 day challenge to give to others. I saw her run to her husband with a big grin on her face – she could hardly believe that I had paid for her cookie.

I wanted to share this story today because I think there is one thing we should all remember about giving to others. This lady clearly had a lot of money. Both she and her husband were dressed very well; she had beautiful shoes and a gorgeous purse. She did not need me to buy her a two dollar cookie. In fact, I guarantee that this woman has a great deal more in her bank account than is floating in mine. It’s not about the money though. It’s about the gesture. I think it’s easy for people to give to those that are less fortunate than we are, and that’s important to do. However, I think it’s also important to do kind things for those that have money simply because it’s kind. I put such a smile on her face and she was incredibly surprised. Again, it was not about the two dollars. Rich people need kind gestures just the same as all the rest of us.

The reason I decided to buy a cookie for this woman had nothing to do with her appearance or ability to pay. I did it because I loved the way she was eyeing the choices like a kid in a toy store. It was such a pleasure to watch her and it was even more of pleasure to see her eyes light up after my kind gesture. I love the idea of giving to others in small ways. I remember how good I felt when someone bought me breakfast and then bought me coffee. But the feeling is even better when you are giving to someone else. I encourage everyone to partake in the giving challenge and to remember that every person can use a lift now and then.


Writing Update
I received a great contact from a friend who has a friend who works for a travel magazine. I sent her an email with some writing samples and a proposal for doing pieces for her. Will keep you posted!


blog comments powered by Disqus