Friday, November 6, 2009

November 6, 2009

Affirmation: I am a peaceful traveler.
(Affirmation from "Meditations to Heal Your Life" by Louise L. Hay)

I am thrilled because today I get to fly to Northern California to visit my mom and sister. I always love seeing them and it’s been awhile so I’ve been looking forward to this trip for quite some time. I am however a bit apprehensive because I am flying alone with my 4 year old and 2 year old. Luckily the flight is just over an hour, but it is still a journey with young children. I have packed snacks, toys and new coloring books. But what can I pack to keep my sanity in check?

Louise L. Hay says that throughout the day you should “check on [your] body’s tension level. No matter where [you are] take a moment to sit quietly, breathe deeply, and release any tension.” I tend to be a people pleaser, so my biggest tension when traveling (besides the fear of losing my children in the crowds) is annoying other people. Children tend to be naturally loud and rambunctious when confined with adults in a small space. Today I am going to try something different – I am going to focus on the needs of my children and not worry about those surrounding me. It is not my responsibility to make their trip pleasant. I just need to get my children safely and happily from one destination to another. I will not of course allow them to be rude or scream, etc. I will, however, allow them to be kids, and I think that if I spend my time focusing on them that they will respond well to that. Instead of just trying to “get through” the situation, I want to try to make our time traveling fun. I’m going to enjoy coloring with them and singing songs and reading books. When else can I sit with my children and just play – not having to worry about cleaning the house or answering the phone or paying the bills. It’s actually a gift to get to spend quality one on one time – no interruptions!

The most important thing I can pack today is a positive attitude, a bit of patience and a side of humility. I will take Hay’s advice to “put love into my trip,” and I know that all will be well. Here’s to happy traveling!


blog comments powered by Disqus